Download Our Mobile App

  • 0
weight loss and weight loss medication

weight loss and weight loss medication

Date : Thu, 05 Sep 2019

Importance of maintaining a healthy weight, weight loss and weight loss medication.

In today`s day and age, where there is an abundance of food, it`s easy for us to lose track of our calarie intake. Long hours spent working, lack of time and motivation for exercising and spending excessive time on the couch watching TV have all led to an obesity epidemic. 

In the 2017 health survey for England, it was found that 28.7% of adults in England were obese and a further 35.6% were overweight, making a total of 64.3% who were either overweight or obese. No doubt, this trend has been rising till now, and is a major factor for the subsequent rise in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes however is not the only risks to your health being overweight can have. 

What are the health risks of being overweight?

As mentioned, diabetes is a major health risk of being overweight. High levels of fatty acids circulating in the blood have been implicated in the body`s resistance to insulin, and subsequent rise in blood sugars. High levels of sugar found in the blood as found in diabetics, can often lead to other health problems if not managed including damage to the eyes, kidneys, cardiovascular system and nervous system.

Other health risks of being overweight include:

  • Joint problems 
  • Lower back pain 
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure) 
  • Coronary heart disease and stroke  
  • Deep vein thrombosis  
  • Endometrial, breast and colon cancer 
  • Stress incontinence 
  • Menstrual abnormalities 
  • Respiratory problems

When to Be Concerned of Your Weight?

There are two major factors that identify whether you are overweight or not. These two indicators are waist size and body mass index. 

If we gain weight, the excess fat tends to get deposited around the waist area. So, if the waist size is more than 32inches in women and 40 inches in man, it is time to be concerned about your weight and seriously consider weight loss.

Your body mass index can tell you whether you are obese or overweight or you have a perfect weight. If the body mass index is more than 25 then you are overweight and if it more than 30 then obese. 

To calculate your BMI, you can use this NHS BMI calculator

Key Steps towards Weight Loss

If you are looking for weight loss tips, there are few simple initial steps that should be followed.

1) Avoid sugar in your diet and any sugary drink. 

2) Increase the amount of fiber in your diet.

3) Drink lots of water. 

4) Eat your food slowly. 

5) Eat proteins and green vegetables.

6) Sleep properly. 

7) Exercise daily for at least 30 minutes. 

If you find it difficult to lose weight, there are weight loss tablets available which can help increase the amount of weight you lose through diet and exercise alone. One such medication is orlistat, also known by its brand name Alli or Xenical. It works by inhibiting fat absorption from your food in the digestive system, thereby reducing the amount your body takes in and stores. Taking orlistat along with maintaining a good diet and exercise program can help you significantly lose weight. 

 

Buy prescription strength weight loss medication with Ask a Pharmacist

Ask A Pharmacist can provide prescription strength weight loss medication via our website or easy to use mobile app. If you require any advice regarding weight loss treatments, why not use our FREE app to discuss this with a pharmacist who will be able to give you free friendly professional advice, confidentially. The service is completely FREE and confidential. Click here for more information