Having a healthy sex life is beneficial in many ways not only to our physical health, but our mental health too. Regular sex decreases the risk of heart disease, hypertension, lowers blood pressure, strengthens muscles, relaxes the mind and much more.
When erectile dysfunction gets in the way, it can not only impact physical and mental health but can also puta strain on relationships too.
What is erectile dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to develop and maintain an erection that allows for satisfactory penetrative sex. Sometimes it can also be accompanied with a low libido (reduced sexual desire).
Erectionsare controlledby small blood vessels found in the penis. If these vessels are blocked or damaged (in conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes) the blood flow to the penis becomes compromised leading to the inability to initiate and maintain a quality erection and hence erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction is not usually a cause for concern, being very common and treatable. It becomes more of an issue as we age particularly over 40 and can also be caused by other factors such as diabetes, blood pressure, stress and anxiety.
The causes of erectile dysfunction
In most of the cases, erectile dysfunction is not caused by an underlying condition and can improve itself over time. It can however also be caused by physical and mental factors.
Certain medications have also shown to contribute to erectile dysfunction. The probable causes are listed below.
1) Heart diseases, Heart valve problems cause irregular blood flow and can cause erectile dysfunction.
2) High levels of cholesterol can lead to blood vessels becoming clogged, reducing blood flow to the penis.
3) High blood pressure can lead to damaging of small blood vessels as found in the penis, leading to impaired blood flow and poor quality erection
4) Diabetes - high sugar levels in the blood can lead to damage of blood vessels in the penis and impair blood flow
6) Social factors - excessive use of tobacco and intake of alcohol can be be a factor.
7) Longterm or excessiveuse of illicit drugs can affect neurological pathways in the brain which contribute to erections.
8) Stress, depression, relationship issues can give rise to erectile dysfunction.
9) Some prescribed medicines for enlarge prostatecancers and depression can restrict the blood flow to the penis and can cause erectile dysfunction.
Treatment of erectile dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction(ED) tablets are commonly used to tackle erectile dysfunction due to their low cost and effectiveness. They primarily work by dilating blood vessels in the penis, leading to improved blood flow and a greater quality erections.
The most well know medication to treat erectile dysfunction is Viagra (Sildenafil). Viagra was the first medication, licensed for treatment of erectile dysfunction. Now that Viagra and the company behind this (Pfizer) no longer has exclusivity to this drug, there are now cheaper generic options available which contain the same active ingredient (sildenafil) as Viagra (and therefore work just as well), but are vastly cheaper too.
Cialis (Tadalafil), Spedra (Avanafil) andLevitra (Vardenafil) are some of the other common erectile dysfunction treatments available. They all work in the same way as Sildenafil (Viagra), however some have a quicker onset, while others last for longer. You can see the comparisons below:
Sildenafil is usually prescribed first line, having been around longer and having a good safety record. It is also relatively cheap compared to others in its class. It is usually taken when required 30-60 minutes before sexual intercourse and can take a few doses before its effects are seen. Other strengths of 50mg and 100mg are also available which can be used based on effectiveness of the lower strength in users.
Let us help!
If you suffer from Erectile Dysfunction, why not speak to one of our pharmacists confidentially on the Ask A Pharmacist app. They can advise you on the many treatment options available. All Erectile Dysfunction treatments are available to purchase via our website and mobile app at some of the lowest prices around. We post securely and discreetly via Royal Mail and deliveries are usually dispatched within 24 hours.
If you are looking for low cost/cheap effective erectile dysfunction treatments, Ask A Pharmacist is the answer.
Click here for more information.